Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sita Goetschius' Spoken Word

I tried.
I tried to conform to the constraining standards that are constantly forced before me

I tried to compromise
My individuality
To emulate the images encircling me

But I couldn't.
As hard as I tried,
I don't have it in me
To surrender myself to something surreal.

If you will excuse me,
But I like being my own person too much to be anything else.
I'm fine right here thank you,
The grass is plenty green on this side.

I tried to change
But once I started to see,
I backed out.
It didn't appeal

"Black your eyes everyday,
To look alive"
But all I saw was a zombie.

"Put this, and that
Into your hair to make it shiny, soft and sheen"
But all I felt was hard, sticky shit.

"Be this size, squeeze into these minuscule jeans
Fit for only those fabricated by fashion monsters"
But I all did was walk a little funny with my insides interpolated into me.

"Here, try this bra,
You'll look two times sexier"
But all I felt was unsexy plastic shoved in every which way.

I refuse, reject, repudiate these ridiculous requirements.

Confidence is my make up and hair.
Brains are my size
Individuality is what I do.

I tried to conform,
But my conscious took over.

No comments:

Post a Comment